Subject: Re: building from pkgsrc on NetBSD/AMD64
To: Robert Cates <robert@kormar.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: port-amd64
Date: 06/30/2005 23:05:38
[To: list trimmed somewhat!]

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Robert Cates wrote:
> Once I've installed NetBSD/AMD64 and choose my software from pkgsrc, will the
> software be built and installed in 64-bit?  If not, is it only some software,
> or is there something special that needs to be configured to build 64-bit
> software from pkgsrc?

The NetBSD/amd64 compiler builds 64bit code by default, see
http://www.feyrer.de/PGC/src/sizeof.log-opteron

It's probably possible to talk it into making 32bit code, but why.

> Oh, one more thing - is there anything particular (like problems?) I should
> know about going into installing NetBSD/AMD64?  I will most likely use either
> an nVidia or ATI graphics card.  How about TV card compatability?

I wouldn'e expect any other problems with these cards than that they have
on any other port either. I.e. the gfx cards will probably run without 3d
accelleration, and you have to get a supported TV card. (A tv card in a
64bit machine? what's this, a 32GB tv-box? :)

  - Hubert