Subject: Re: viaide0:0:0: lost interrupt
To: None <port-amd64@NetBSD.org>
From: Uair <uair@acelerate.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 05/20/2005 10:00:37
--------- Mensagem Original --------
De: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
Para: Uair <uair@acelerate.com>
Copia: port-amd64@NetBSD.org
Asunto: Re: viaide0:0:0: lost interrupt
Fecha: 20/05/05 09:23

> On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 11:22:58PM -0400, Uair wrote:
> &gt; Hi:
> &gt; I've just acquired a MSI K8T NEO (VIA K8T800 Chipset based)
motherboard with
> &gt; a AMD Athlon 64 Processor and a Hitachi 40 Gb SATA disk on it, and I
begun
> &gt; the installation of NetBSD/AMD64 2.0.2 on this hardware, but I could
not
> &gt; finish it because when I boot the install system I get the following
> &gt; message:
> &gt; viaide0:0:0: lost interrupt
>
> This *could* be an interrupt routing issue (or a bug in the driver, but as
> it works in NetBSD/i386, I'd check interrupt first)

Is there anything I can do to run NetBSD/amd64 on my hardware and avoid this
issue?
Note that I'm a low-experience NetBSD user (almost a newbie, but not quite),
so if you point me some documentation it would be terrific.

> &gt; [...]
> &gt; It's the exact same problem that msmith@edtech.mcc.edu posted on
02/10/2005.
> &gt; And later on msmith@edtech.mcc.edu posted that he finally installed
> &gt; NetBSD/i386 2.0 on his system so I emulated him. I've just installed
> &gt; NetBSD/i386 2.0.2 on my system and everything went ok; but now I'm
worried
> &gt; about my pc &quot;health&quot;, I mean, isn't it some kind of
dangeours for my
> &gt; processor to run NetBSD/i386 instead of NetBSD/AMD64?
> &gt; isn't it some kind of dangerous for any other piece of hardware (like
the
> &gt; motherboard)?
>
> No, it's not dangerous at all for hardware. AMD64 was designed to be
binary
> backward-compatible with i386 OSes. You just won't use all the features
> of the amd64 architecture (the extra registers and the extended intruction
> set)

Great! that's a relief. Thanks for your help and time.

Hugo

acelerate.com