Subject: Re: AMD Cool'n'Quiet Support
To: Ernst du Toit <et@houseofet.com>
From: IWAMOTO Toshihiro <toshii@w.email.ne.jp>
List: port-amd64
Date: 02/26/2005 00:00:49
At Thu, 03 Feb 2005 23:08:04 +1300,
Ernst du Toit wrote:
> Is the Cool'n'Quiet(tm) Technology from AMD supported on the amd64 port?
> It looks like it needs OS support to be full functional. I've been
> looking at the archives and changelogs, but can't find a definate answer.

I wrote a driver several months ago.
I'm not satisfied with these sysctl nodes and the driver is only
tested on my system, it should be rather easy to put the code into the
tree.
As there's no automatic CPU frequency changing funtionality, I'm not
sure the code is useful.
However, I don't have much trouble because 800MHz is suffice for most
of the time.

$ sysctl machdep.frequency  machdep.availfreqs
machdep.frequency = 800
machdep.availfreqs = 1800 800

cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 0 (boot processor)
cpu0: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 2800+, 1808.74 MHz

acpi0 at mainbus0
acpi0: using Intel ACPI CA subsystem version 20040211
acpi0: X/RSDT: OemId <GBT   ,AWRDACPI,42302e31>, AslId <AWRD,01010101>
acpi0: SCI interrupting at int 9
acpi0: fixed-feature power button present
acpicpu0 at acpi0
0 4
1 4
available frequencies 1800 800 0