Subject: Re: to amd64, or not to.
To: Wouter Schoot <wouter@schoot.org>
From: Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@ka8zrt.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 11/12/2004 10:34:55
	version=3.0.0
Sender: port-amd64-owner@NetBSD.org

Hiya folks,

Wooter is not the only person looking at this, and it has been some
time since something of this has been discussed.

My background is that while I have a pretty good number of machines
here, ranging from a Dual-P90 system (which was at one time a machine
at CompuServe) serving as my bastion host, clear up to Athlon systems
including a 2500+ Barton system with 1GB of RAM and a Radeon 9500Pro
system I use as a workstation and on which play games.  I even have
some Sun 3's and a HP9000/F10 (800 series unfortunately) which I play
with from time to time.  But I have decided that my workstation has
started getting a bit old, and I am debating on upgrading it and
moving my MB/CPU/RAM around so that I can possibly retire the dual P90
to the "play" pile.    So when my system drive decided to clip from
40GB to 33GB, I started thinking...

As Wouter said, getting a Semperon based system does not really pay
off anymore.  While I can get a good AMD CPU/motherboard for around
$220, another $50 gets me the same features in an AMD64 system
(though, unfortunately still not a FX-53 or Opteron CPU).  And at the
same time, I could start using SATA drives which have nicer cabling
than their EIDE equivalents, and are much less costly than the
equivilent SCA SCSI drives I used to prefer.

So, I too would ask that you please share your more recent experiences
with AMD64 systems, and include details such as which MB/CPU you are
using, what quirks you may have seen, etc.

Thanks!

- Doug

Quoting Wouter Schoot (wouter@schoot.org):

--
Douglas Wade Needham - KA8ZRT        UN*X Consultant & UW/BSD kernel programmer
Email:  cinnion @ ka8zrt . com       http://cinnion.ka8zrt.com