Subject: i386->amd64 migration strategy?
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Ellis <scotte@warped.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 11/04/2004 19:57:27
I've been running my Athlon64 machine under NetBSD/i386, and now is an
opportune time for me to migrate it over to amd64 (which is my ultimate
goal).  Is there a best-known-method for doing this migration w/o starting
from scratch (e.g., run old binaries under NETBSD32 emulation)?  I suspect
there are some gotchas, but w/o having a "scratch" amd64 system to
experiment on, I don't know what those are.

For example, booting the generic amd64 kernel doesn't SEEM to work (the HD
activity light for twe0 comes on solid at about when it looks like 'init'
should start running), but booting the amd64 install floppies appears to
work.  So, I take it that at least 'init' needs to be an amd64 binary. :-)

Any clues, or a pointer to a migration guide would be most appreciated!

	ScottE