Subject: Re: Stable release
To: None <port-amd64@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: port-amd64
Date: 07/19/2004 12:39:38
In article <AKELKCKEKIEIGINJHKAPKEALCBAA.mcleanl@ozemail.com.au>,
	"Lawrence J. McLean" <mcleanl@ozemail.com.au> writes:
> I would like like to have a rough estimate when this Port (amd64) will be a
> stable release?

NetBSD-amd64 will be part of the NetBSD 2.0 release which should get
finished at some point this year. Beta version snapshost can be
downloaded under ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/2.0/.

> I suspect the AMD64 platform may offer superior performance.

It depends. AMD64 is somewhat faster e.g. because of the larger number
of CPU registers. But unless your application needs more memory than
3GB of memory NetBSD-i386 will do fine, too. Admittedly you will
probably NetBSD 2.0, too, because NetBSD 1.6.2 lacks drivers for
the I/O hardware of an Opteron system.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/