Subject: recommendation?
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: MLH <mlh@goathill.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 05/10/2004 11:44:30
We are looking at setting up an experimental/development
database/workflow server. While seemingly simplistic, we have
determined that we basically just need three primary things: plenty
of ram, fast cpu and fast disk. I have absolutely no experience
with using Opterons with NetBSD, so have a few questions:

The amd64 port isn't 'released'. Is it stable enough to use in a
single-cpu environment?

What's the fastest disk subsystem that works with it? I was planning
on a scsi/320 controller (raid?) with a WD 37G 10krpm drive to
start with. Anyone have experience with something like this?

If the amd64 port isn't stable enough, can I drop back and use the
i386 port with the Opteron until the amd64 port comes up to speed?
( I only get one shot at hardware for a while for this).

Recommendations welcome. Thanks