Subject: Re: Netboot (PXE??) Install
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
From: Jason Lixfeld <jason@lixfeld.ca>
List: port-amd64
Date: 04/26/2004 13:31:24
On Apr 25, 2004, at 2:04 PM, Frank van der Linden wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 01:28:26PM -0400, Jason Lixfeld wrote:
>> Can someone give me some pointers on doing a netboot install?  My
>> machine supports PXE boot and I've looked at some of the netboot
>> documentation at http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/
>
> You need to look at the i386 specific parts of those pages, they all
> apply to the amd64 port as well (just replace i386 with amd64
> anywhere).
>
> You need to:
>
> 	* Set up dhcpd on a machine on your network. This is
> 	  described on that webpage as well as the i386 pxeboot(8)
> 	  manpage.
> 	* Set up tftpd on the same, point it at your netboot
> 	  directory.
> 	* Put the pxeboot_ia32.bin file (from the base.tgz file on
> 	  the ISO image, in ./usr/mdec) in the netboot directory.
> 	* Put the amd64 INSTALL kernel in the netboot directory
> 	  you configured. Put it there as "netbsd", uncompressed. If
> 	  the ISO image was a full release, the INSTALL kernel should be
> 	  present in amd64/binary/kernel/
> 	* Boot the kernel (make sure PXE boot is configured in the boot
> 	  devices in the BIOS), and continue with the installation as
> 	  if you booted from CD or floppy.

I'm trying this pxe boot.  I can get the netbsd pxe loader, but I can't
get it to load the amd64 kernel (named netbsd) in the netboot
directory.  It keeps trying to connect via NFS.

ddns-update-style ad-hoc;
option domain-name "example.com";
option routers 10.0.0.1;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option broadcast-address 10.0.0.255;
option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.1;
server-name "DHCPserver";
server-identifier 10.0.0.1;

default-lease-time 120;
max-lease-time 120;

host eshara {
         hardware ethernet 00:50:45:5b:8f:18;
         fixed-address 10.0.0.10;
         option host-name "eshara";
         if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) =
"PXEClient" {
                 filename "pxeboot_ia32.bin";
         } elsif filename = "tftp" {
                 filename "tftp:netbsd";