Subject: Re: interrupt sharing problem?
To: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 02/12/2004 20:06:57
On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 07:37:49PM +0100, Matthias Drochner wrote:
> I'm getting problems with a nice dual Opteron system as soon
> as I plug an (adaptec) SCSI controller in. The box hangs sooner
> or later; the "bge", "fxp" and "viaide" complain about missed
> interrupts and timeouts.
> There is nothing connected to the SCSI adapter yet - it seems
> that just the different interrupt routing caused by its mere
> presence triggers the problem.
> Indeed, with the "ahc" plugged in I'm getting:
[...]
> See the "bge1" and "ahc0" lines -- interrupts from 2 different
> ioasics routed to the same CPU interrupt.

The 'irq' value is really only for reference in ioapic mode, you
can ignore it for all practical purposes.

Also, the interrupt code is virtually the same between amd64 and
i386, so I don't think it's an interrupt sharing issue. The
missing interrupts you report seem to come from devices that do
not even share a line, too.

I'm not sure what causes this. Perhaps you can try using MPACPI
instead of MPBIOS and see if that gives a different configuration.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                                            fvdl@netbsd.org
NetBSD. Free, Unix-like OS. > 45 different platforms.    http://www.netbsd.org/