Subject: Re: nVidia motherboards?
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 10/20/2003 16:56:28
On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:07:34PM +0200, Frank van der Linden wrote:
 [...]
> Yeah, rtk cards can be kinda crappy that way. That's not anything
> specific to the amd64 port.

Hm.  It becomes almost completely unusable while using it heavily
for NFS.  It runs well for a few minutes, then starts getting errors
and runs about a screen full of watchdog errors (long seconds between
each) between visible indication of file access.  (I was trying to
build over an NFS mount).

The only way to recover normal performance seems to be to break the
build and take the interface down for a little while, then take it
back up.  (I haven't tried twiddling mount options, though.  That
might help.)

I've got a few other rtk cards, but haven't ever seen anything like
this.  (Though perhaps I haven't pushed them quite like this
before, either.  I don't normally use rtk cards on the "fast"
network.  (^&)

I really wanted to avoid rtk, but I also wanted to be able to talk
to my other machines today.

I don't mind seeing errors, but when it takes several minutes per
file...

> > Also, writing the superblocks during install is slower than I expected,
> > and I occasionally get lost interrupts on the on-board IDE controller.
>
> Could you send me a dmesg output? I'm wondering if there's some issue
> with the nvidia nforce IDE part of the IDE driver.

Sure.

I'll send it off-list to avoid spamming people.

(Also, it seems that NetBSD has a hard time getting the system
date from the clock chip and always resets to May 9 for some
reason...)

> > Finally: Are virtual consoles not available on amd64?
>
> Sure they ware. It's wscons, just like all other ports; virtual consoles
> aren't even port-dependent.. just enable wscons in the normal way.

Okay, I see the problem.

This old keyboard has a flakey left control key, so I was using
the *right* control/alt.  I thought that that should work just
as well as the left keys.  Live and learn.