Subject: Re: nVidia motherboards?
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 10/18/2003 22:47:31
On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 03:41:41PM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> I tried three ways of booting:
>
>  * Old 1.6 i386 install on the hard drive.
>
>  * Quite recent i386 -current.
>
>  * The 20031005 snapshop of AMD64.
>
> They all gave varying and strange results.  Since I was on a local console,
> I had to manually transcribe the errors.  Here are some of them:

[...]

Unfortunately, it sounds like you have a hardware problem there. I'm always
willing to take some blame, but both NetBSD/i386 and NetBSD/amd64 failing
in mysterious ways is just too much :) Memory is always the first thing to
check. Your options may be:

	* load 'failsafe' defaults in the BIOS (if you have those)
	* try different memory module(s), or perhaps just one module
	  if you're currently working with more.
	* if you think the IDE interface is suspect, try booting
	  from floppy and see if that consistently works

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                                            fvdl@netbsd.org
NetBSD. Free, Unix-like OS. > 45 different platforms.    http://www.netbsd.org/