Subject: Re: nVidia motherboards?
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 10/18/2003 14:12:00
On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 07:13:28AM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> I'd rather try a serial console before another card, first.  If I uncomrent the
> line in INSTALL about forcing a serial console, build a release, and make a
> bootable CD as for i386 (but specifying the amd64 dir, instead), will that make a
> bootable CD with a serial console?

You can specify the output device from the bootblock prompt. I forgot how..
breaking in to it and typing 'help' or '?' should show you.

> If it makes a difference (my understanding is that it shouldn't), the CPU is
> an "Athlon 64" not an Opteron.  The motherboard is a Gigabyte K8N Pro, with
> nVidia nForce 3 chipset.

The CPU type doesn't matter (I have one Athlon64 board myself, which works
fine). I don't think the nVidia chipset has been tested yet, maybe's there
something in there that trips NetBSD up.

Having the video disappear is a vga issue though.. it's normal to see
the screen 'twitch' when the native VGA driver is initialized, but
it shouldn't go away entirely.

- Frank