Subject: nVidia motherboards?
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 10/17/2003 21:57:06
I've got my grubby bits on an nVidia based AMD64 motherboard (and AMD64 CPU,
of course; (^&).

When I try to boot from CD, the video drops out.  I can't tell that anything
is happening with the boot from CD.  (The disk spins, stops, spins some more,
etc.  It seems to stick in that cycle.)  This is with the ISO image that you
put up a little while ago.  (20031005, I think.)

I am able to get into its BIOS and poke around.  I also am using a disk, for
now, salvaged from an i386 machine (with NetBSD 1.6 on the disk).  That gets
partway through a boot and displays messages but (of course) locks up.

Could part of the problem be that I'm using an old PCI video card?  Or would
that not matter at all to NetBSD?  (No AGP at this time.)

Might I fare better with a a serial console?

When I say that the video signal drops, I really do mean that.  It's as if
the monitor were disconnected (the green LED on the monitor switches to
amber).

I don't know AMD64 assembly, but am willing to invest some time in making
this work (I'm already in for a pretty penny; (^&).  Pointers, suggestions,
kernels-to-try, etc. are welcome.  (Failing any of the above, I might at
least see if any of the "other guys" fare any better.  E.g., FreeBSD or some
variety of penguin.)