Port-alpha archive

Re: DEC PWS500au (MiataGL) EIDE Issues

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 00:52 Jason Thorpe <thorpej%me.com@localhost> wrote:

> On May 16, 2021, at 9:17 PM, Jason Thorpe <thorpej%me.com@localhost> wrote:
>

>> On May 16, 2021, at 2:47 PM, Jason Thorpe <thorpej%me.com@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> I’ll poke around …
>
> Ok, I did a little poking.
>
> The Cypress 82c693 is kind of an odd-ball chip… it was used in a few Alpha models… but not much else, as far as I can discern.  Among other things, its ISA interrupt controller is a little different (we already have code that handles this), but there are a lot of additional configuration registers for it that we don’t fiddle with.
>
> I see some leads in the Linux driver that look promising.  I’m going to dig out the data sheet and do a little light reading.

Alex — I have a possible fix that I’d like to you try, but because you’re having trouble installing in the first place, I thought I’d ask what would be the easiest way to deliver it to you… fresh 9.1 installation CD-ROM image maybe?

Thanks, Jason!

I can do either an instkernel (for netbooting) or install floppies. For some reason, my CD doesn’t want to boot.

- Alex