Port-alpha archive

Re: Installing to a gpt disk?

Thanks very much. Indeed, when just creating the gpt partitions with sysinst, but without actually installing, I see the partitions after leaving sysinst.

However, as posted before, after the installation they are all gone. Well, kind of. Despite "gpt show" does not recognise any partitions, as posted before, if I do not explicitly run "gtp destroy" on that disk I cannot install even with disklabel.

But it could very well be the moment sysinst is installing the boot block, that the gpt table goes bust.

Currently I am also having a second drive, that seems to keep the gpt table across boots, but is consistently losing the wedge after a reboot. In addition, I need to create the wedges manually, "gpt add" will not do that on alpha automagically.

I have not been able to newfs a gpt partition without a wedge. That would be interesting, but seems not to be documented anywhere. According to google, that is.

Generally, this all is just out of curiosity, I have no real practical need for gpt and can happily live with disklabel.

Ede