Port-alpha archive

Re: (unrelated) Re: NetBSD on Digital Personal Workstation 433a

>>> even my old caddy drives - not even 1x speed - of the collection
>>> read "burns".

I've seen it said - I don't know the truth of it, but it sounds
plausible to me - that in CD-Rs the reflectance change is significantly
less than in pressed CDs, and that some, usually older, drives have
sensors and/or analog electronics that are not capable of picking up
this lesser reflectance change.

>>> maybe this helps. some machines from dec are also picky about block
>>> size (512/2048 bytes) but i think this was VAX time.

This was also a big deal on some Suns, IIRC, but that's only slightly
relevant to Alphas.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign