Port-alpha archive

Re: magic switch to ARC console?

On May 30, 2011, at 8:36 PM, David Hopper wrote:

> I do sometimes wonder at the engineering prowess of the DEC/Microsoft ARC
> engineers[...]

This was an unacceptably glib thing to say.  My apologies.

I fired up my own PWS600au to confirm.  The ARC selection is CMOS Setup --> F6
(Advanced) --> Console selection: (UNIX) SRM.  You may only power down the
machine from ARC (F10), but using the soft reset on the front panel retains the
CMOS.

The battery is located on the top CPU/cache/RAM daughterboard, so you don't
have to pull the I/O motherboard at all (nice).  The battery is a standard
lithium socketed BR2032, not exotic at all.  I have no idea why I didn't
replace this earlier.  :)

Best,
David