Port-alpha archive

Re: Alpha boot magic questions

Hello John

2010/3/26 John Klos <john%ziaspace.com@localhost>:
> failed to open dka0.0.0.6.0

Sorry to say, but it really seems that dka0.0.0.6.0 is now in good health.
Could you please send again a "SHO DEV" listing?

> If I try to use the bootloader on the CD to boot the kernel off the SCSI
> disk, I get:
>
> Boot file: dka0:netbsd
> Boot flags: a
> open dka0:netbsd: No such file or directory
>
> Boot failed! ÂHalting...
>
> Maybe dka0:netbsd isn't the correct syntax.

I think that when you boot from SRM by "BOOT DKA0", the bootloader
already knows what the boot disk is, so you should simply digit
"netbsd"

> I even tried a different SCSI-IDE adapter, but no go. I suppose my next test
> will be to see if a real SCSI drive works...

Yes, could be a broken controller or faulty cable.
And, of course, check SCSI bus termination.

Ciao!
gl