Port-alpha archive

ES40 bombing now

Greetings,

I have an ES40 which I love dearly. It runs NetBSD pre-4.0 very nicely and VMS 8.3 dual booted from SRM. I'd like to install a newer kernel + OS land and instead of building it from scratch as is per the usual giggles, I wanted to boot off CD, clobber the existing install and go from scratch.

Okay, my config is currently dual ev67/2gb ram, Elsa Gloria video (and later try a radeon and nv 8600 in it), intel pro100 and three disks in spud brackets. VMS works flawlessly. 3.99 NetBSD works flawlessly. NetBSD 4.0/5.0/5.0.1 and openbsd 4.6 refuse to boot from CD, tape or mopd. In each case I receive:

NetBSD/alpha 4.0 ISO 9660 Primary Bootstrap
Jumping to entry point...

NetBSD/alpha 4.0 Secondary Bootstrap, Revision 1.13
(builds@wb27, Sat Dec 15 21:19:56 PST 2007)

VMS PAL rev: 0x4006800010162
OSF PAL rev: 0x400690002015c
Switch to OSF PAL code succeeded.

Boot flags:
9062112/
halted CPU 0

halt code = 2
kernel stack not valid halt
PC = 0
boot failure
P00>>>

All pretty similar. Same kernel stack not valid halt. My SRM is the latest I could find on Digital^H^H^H^H^H^H^HCompaq^H^H^H^H^H^HHP's site as at about mid August.

I'm guessing this is a SRM mis-configuration I've done because 3.x works and VMS is hot for it.

Ideas? Url? I've been trolling google for a few days and it seems a fairly common problem.

Regards,
Al.

 Al Boyanich
 adb -w -P "world> " -k /dev/meta/galaxy/ksyms /dev/god/brain