Port-alpha archive

Re: writing cdhdtape to CD

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Michael L. Hitch wrote:

I think the cdhdtape image was used before the iso images were generally available, and I suspect that they haven't been tested in quite a while and the install documentation likely needs some updating depending upon whether the cdhdtape image is no longer valid or if it just needs some fixing.

I think I may have figured out what is happening. The ustarfs read routine reads the input media in 18K chunks (designed for floppy disks), and as best I can tell, will get an error if the media has less than 18K at the end. Reading from the disk will work, since there will be garbage blocks after the image that will read fine, but on a CD, an error will occur trying to read the last part of the image.

I think this used to work in the past when the alpha was generating the image file with alpha-specific code. The image was a fixed size and would have sufficient spare space at the end of the image so that the ustarfs read would encounter the end of the data before it hit the end of the actual image written to the CD. The common code, shared by many other ports, appears to write the last 'floppy' image with just the amount of data to terminate the tar file, but would generate an image size that wasn't necessarily a multiple of 18K. This would probably cause the problem you are seeing.

A quick test would be to pad the cdhdtape image to a multiple of 18K, burn that adjusted image, and see if it works:

dd if=cdhdtape of=/tmp/cdhdtape bs=18k conv=sync

The /tmp/cdhdtape image might work better. If I get a chance to waste another CD and can reboot one of my alphas, I could try this. [I've already tried a couple of different cdhdtape images, and had some trouble getting the alpha back running properly.]

The Makefile.tarfloppy shell script used to create image has the option of padding the created image file to the specified size of the 'floppy' image (18K for real floppies, and 5MB for the alpha cdhdtape), so if this is the actual problem, it will be easy to cure it.

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant