Port-alpha archive

Re: 3.x end of life

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Paul Mather wrote:

2) The NetBSD install on this machine dates back quite some way (to some 1.x version; I forget exactly which). Anyway, it originated in an era where disks were a lot smaller than they are today. Accordingly, my partitions are smaller than would be common on contemporary sized drives. I'm worried that if the standard NetBSD 4.x or 5.x install is larger than 3.x that my root partition may not be large enough. Does anyone know how much 4.x or 5.x differs in size relative to netbsd-3? Here is what I have currently (which is ample space for 3.x):

Filesystem    Size      Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/raid0a   126M      44M       75M    37%    /
/dev/raid2a   126M      55M       65M    45%    /var
/dev/raid2d   1.5G     957M      514M    65%    /usr
/dev/raid3a   3.9G     1.5G      2.2G    40%    /home
/dev/sd1a     1.9G     256M      1.6G    13%    /usr/pkgsrc
/dev/sd1d     1.9G     1.0G      815M    56%    /usr/src
/dev/sd3d     2.2G     790M      1.3G    36%    /usr/obj

(I also have a 4.3G drive I can use as a temporary build area.)

As you can see, the system is set up with much of it configured as either RAID-1 or RAID-5 under RAIDframe. I'd hate to have to re-partition with larger partitions because I'd likely lose that ability given the physical drives in there. BTW, the system's only production role is as a slave nameserver and so doesn't need much in the way of future expansion: just enough to contain the base OS, really.

I have certainly run into the problem of having too small of partitions to upgrade cleanly :)

  I would guess your partitions may be rather small, depending upon how
many of the sets you have installed.  I haven't used a separate root and
/usr partition for quite some time, so I'm not sure what the split between them might be at the moment.

On my DESTDIR of an alpha 5.0 build, the total size [includes everything built for a release] is 572MB, and the /usr portion of that is 535. /var is 604KB. That looks like it may be able to fit your current partition sizes.

3) Is it possible to upgrade successfully directly from netbsd-3 to netbsd-5? Or, do you have to upgrade to some version of 4.x as an interim step? Does anyone have any recommended path they have tried that has been successful? (Right now, it is running netbsd-3.) I have limited physical access to this system, so I hope not to have to spend much, if any, time in single user mode if I can help it.

  You sould be able to update directly from netbsd-3 to netbsd-5.

Since you say you have a 4.3G drive you can use as a temporary build area, you could make a copy of your /, /usr, and /var partition on it with the same size, and grab the 5.0 release distribution sets and untar them over those copies. You would probably want to also try running the postinstall script using that copy as the destination directory, which will clean out a lot of the obsolete files, to recover some space. That should give you a better idea of a real update might run out of space.

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant