Port-alpha archive

Re: writing cdhdtape to CD

Has anyone even tested the cdhdtape recently? Considering the error message Ray is getting boot can't find the kernel. Is the standard boot even supposed to be able to locate the kernel if it is in a USTAR archive?

Since we are dealing with what seems to be the same boot as on a hd I just assumed that the cdhdtape image was a regular UFS file system image. Perhaps someone can create such an image with the same files that are included in the cdhdtape image and test it.

On Tru64 the stand alone system restore tapes and cd's contains USTAR archives just like the cdhdtape image but the Tru64 bootloader does know how to handle USTAR archives to allow loading of the kernel. I'm not sure that's the case with the file Ray has tried to use.

I can't test this for the moment since my box no longer is running NetBSD. I gave that up due to too many bugs that made NetBSD unstable on CS20 systems when running multiprocessor kernels...

Cheers,
Anders

-
                  \\|%|//