Port-alpha archive

Re: Warning: received processor correctable error.

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Erik Fair wrote:

I have a DigitalServer 3305 (a whitebox AlphaServer 5/800) which has just begun spewing this message on its console with alarming frequency. Alas, the message is not very specific, so what I need to know is:

1. dying RAM DIMM? (if so, which one?)
2. dying CPU/cache/other irreplaceable part?

I mostly see this type of error due to correctable memory errors. The machine check frame apparently is different for the various models of alphas, and doesn't appear to be documented for many of them, so the contents which presumably indicate the memory address isn't easily available. I've thought about adding some kind of verbose option just to dump some random information in the machine check frame, but haven't gotten motivated enough to even look at it.

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant