Port-alpha archive

Re: Configuring Serial Printer - DEC 3000 Model 700 / NetBSD V4.0

---- Torsten Harenberg <harenberg%physik.uni-wuppertal.de@localhost> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> maybe a stupid advice, but have you tried to set the serial line speed
> with stty to have a certain serial line speed even outside of cu? See
> stty(1) for details.

Not stupid at all :-)  I thought about that... Really, I did!

Checking the status with stty gives me the following:

# stty -a -f /dev/ttyB0
ispeed 0 baud; ospeed 9600 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
lflags: icanon isig iexten echo echoe -echok echoke -echonl echoctl
        -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin -nokerninfo
        -extproc
iflags: -istrip icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon -ixoff ixany imaxbel -ignbrk
        brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
oflags: opost onlcr -ocrnl oxtabs onocr onlret
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl -clocal -cstopb -crtscts -mdmbuf
        -cdtrcts
cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
        eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^?; intr = ^C; kill = ^U; lnext = ^V;
        min = 1; quit = ^\; reprint = ^R; start = ^Q; status = ^T;
        stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;
#

The output baud rate is correct (9600) and that should give me (at least) some
garbage when I try to send data to the printer.

What usually happens looks something like this:

#
# lp Test.Substances
request id is 2
# ps -ax | grep lpd
 307 ?     Ss   0:00.02 /usr/sbin/lpd -s
2298 ?     I    0:00.01 /usr/sbin/lpd -s
#
#

lp acknowledges the request and puts it in the queue. lpd is running.  Then,
when I check the lpq, I get the following:

# lpq
# Warning: lp queue is turned off
Warning:: not found
# lp is ready and printing
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    root       1    Test.Substances                       4925 bytes
2nd    root       2    Test.Substances                       4925 bytes
#

No further errors.  Nothing in the log.  No output.

I checked the cable (again.)  It works fine to connect a tty to the very same
port.  Checked the port as a regular tty -- no problems. Changed the baud rate
on the terminal, worked fine. Changed data formats - worked fine. Checked the
printer with another computer -- works fine.  Checked the handshaking lines
with a breakout box.  No hardware handshaking seems to be implemented.

I'm thinking that I'm just missing something vital in printcap or another
configuration file (somewhere!)

--
Micheal H. McCabe
mhmccabe%alltel.net@localhost