Port-alpha archive

Re: Configuring Serial Printer - DEC 3000 Model 700 / NetBSD V4.0

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 15:07 Jochen Kunz wrote:

Does it print when you do somthing like:
echo 'Hallo World!' > /dev/ttyB0

No. Nothing happens. It appears to hang briefly, but no output appears on the printer. I assume that nothing happens because the port isn't configured. I was expecting that setting the baud rate in the printcap file would take care of the configuration, but that
(apparently) isn't happening.

Can you talk to the printer using tip(1) or cu(1) like:
cu -l /dev/ttyB0 -s 9600

Yes. I'm able to send text from the console keyboard to the line printer using cu. Since cu sets the baud rate and communication parameters, this works without a problem.

Are you sure that ttyB0 is not the system console?

Yes. ttyB1 is used as the serial console on this machine. Not sure why, but that's how it is.

Are you sure you have the correct cable?

Yes. It's the same cable used to connect the printer to the VT-278 / VT-102.
DB-25F <---> DB-25F Null Modem (DTE to DTE)

Also, since I can send characters using cu, it appears that the cable is good.

Thanks for replying so quickly!

--
Micheal H. McCabe
mhmccabe%alltel.net@localhost