Port-alpha archive

Re: Self baked kernel panics

First of all, thanks for your support and that you even took the time to
explain. Even though I still do not really understand it, it gives at least
an idea, which is worth quite a bit.

Below some statistiks for generations to come. When I remember that once in
the FreeBSD make.conf was a huge warning to not use -O2 on alpha as it was
known to create broken code and now the kernel only comes up at all when
optimizations are used...well, times tey are a changing. Currently it is
not -mcpu, but -O0 to blame.

Those kernels were made without the patch from itoh (kudos to you as well, of
course) as trying to apply the patch produces an error:

nordlicht# patch -C isp.c PATCHFILE
Hmm...  Looks like a unified diff to me...
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|--- src/sys/dev/ic/isp.c.orig   Thu Nov 16 10:32:51 2006
|+++ src/sys/dev/ic/isp.c        Sat Feb  9 15:07:16 2008
--------------------------
Patching file isp.c using Plan A...
Hunk #1 failed at 2957.
Hunk #2 failed at 3204.
2 out of 2 hunks failed--saving rejects to isp.c.rej
Hmm...  Ignoring the trailing garbage.
done

Same is true when using "patch -C < PATCHFILE"

And now for the GENERIC facts for ricers:

COPTS+=-mcpu=21164a (same as -O0 -mcpu=21164a)
make: 1434.00s real  1258.00s user   184.40s system
Size = 12400k
Panic: yes

COPTS+= -O0
make: 1450.00s real  1272.00s user   185.02s system
Size =13104k
Panic:  yes

COPTS+=-Os -mcpu=21164a
make: 2774.00s real  2572.00s user   209.27s system
Size = 8272k
Panic: no

COPTS+=-O2 -mcpu=21164a
make: 3010.00s real  2795.00s user   221.76s system
Size = 9168k
Panic: no

#COPTS+= (seems to automagically use -O2 if COPTS is not defined)
make: 3200.00s real  2982.00s user   224.45s system
Size =9568k
Panic:  no