Subject: Re: "relocation truncated to fit"
To: der Mouse <mouse@NetBSD.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/23/2007 11:10:57
On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 03:54:03AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> What does this mean?  The shared library is too big?  The command I'm
> using is wrong?  One of the .o files is broken?  Can't tell without
> more information?  And, any suggestions what to do to fix it?

Yes, library grew to big probably.

The linker tried to fill in a relative relocation but the instruction
did not provide enough bits for the target distance.

This typically is either an assembler file using a too short relative
branch style, or -fpic should be changed to -fPIC. (I don't know
alpha assembler good enough realy, but this is usually what this message
means on sparc64 where we have 13, 20, 22 or 23 bits of space for the
branch target, depending on exact instructions used.)

Martin