Subject: "relocation truncated to fit"
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/23/2007 03:54:03
I've got an alpha running 3.1, and when trying to build a shared
library, I'm getting "relocation truncated to fit: GPREL16 .sdata" from
the ld command, and the shared library isn't built.

What does this mean?  The shared library is too big?  The command I'm
using is wrong?  One of the .o files is broken?  Can't tell without
more information?  And, any suggestions what to do to fix it?

The library, in case it matters, is a somewhat customized version of
Xlib; the command being used is too long to be sane to quote in full
here, but amounts to "ld -o $SOFILENAME -Bshareable -rpath $LIBDIR
$OFILES".

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign