Subject: Re: PWS onboard tlp not working?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Thompson <andrew@hijacked.us>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/18/2007 19:09:13
On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 05:47:31PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> The onboard Ethernet - tlp0 - doesn't work right.  The person who sent
> it to me installed 3.0 (basically straight off the CD, accept all the
> defaults); it boots OK, but when I try to use the Ethernet, I have
> trouble.  I get "tlp0: transmit timeout", and then it starts jabbering,
> or something like it - I had it connected to a hub, and the collision
> light on the hub went on solid, but other machines on the hub saw no
> traffic at all.  But it's not just fried hardware, because if I tell it
> to netboot, it gets all the way through to starting the kernel.  (It
> doesn't *work*, because the alpha netboot setup I have has a kernel not
> compatible with this machine, but the network works far enough to get
> the kernel loaded, without going wonky.)

I have the same problem with my PWS 500au. I managed to make it work
okay over a crossover to another machine, but it'd lock my hub up
identically to yours. It actually seemed to get *worse* after I upgraded
the SRM firmware but I haven't tested it since I installed 4.0beta2 on
it. I just gave up on the tulip and installed a fxp card which works
great. I did manage to netboot it without issues, I think NetBSD is at
least partially at fault but the tulip also sucks by itself.

Andrew