Subject: Re: Could run NetBSD 3.x or 4.0 on AlphaServer 2100 ?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Gianluca Bonetti <gl@decadence.it>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/10/2007 17:21:53
On 10/04/2007 18:51:36, Anders Hogrelius wrote:
> As you may have read in earlier threads on this list the SMP
> functionality of NetBSD isn't really stable yet. Even if you get a
> kernel that boots, you should expect the occational hang... If you're

I actually run NetBSD 3.0 on a couple of AS4100 equipped with 4x
EV56/466/4MB and I do very heavy recompiling for hours.
It runs rock solid so I thought that the problem was about AS2100 only.

Maybe the port-alpha kernel developers are happy to hear that SMP runs
so good on the AlphaServer 4100.

The problem with AS2100 is that it doesn't boot even with single
processor configuration.
Do I have to pull away the second CPU?

> interested in trying Tru64 Unix which is supported contact me off
> list and I'll make CD images and the necessary PAK's available.

Thank you for your kind offer.
I have a huge lot of Digital Unix/Tru64 releases but really I never got
any interest in it.
I have OpenVMS 7.3 installed on another disk on this machine and I boot
it once upon a time.
My interest is only on open source operating system, at this time.
It seems that I have to stick on AS4100s for running NetBSD.

Thanks
Bye!
gl