Subject: Could run NetBSD 3.x or 4.0 on AlphaServer 2100 ?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Gianluca Bonetti <gl@decadence.it>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/10/2007 13:21:54
Hello, World!

Yesterday I tried to install NetBSD 3.0 on an AlphaServer 2100 equipped
with 2 CPUs 5/300 and 512 MB RAM.
I first tryied to boot 3.0 by CDROM, then to netboot 3.0 but always
failed.
Also unsuccesful were my attempts to netboot 3.1 and 4.0.

I was sure that the booting procedure was good since I used many times
on AS4100s so I looked around and found that AS2100 is not on the list
of supported models for NetBSD.
I did a mistake because once I spotted AS2100 on FreeBSD list and got
confused my memory :)

More specifically, when booting 4.0 here is the console output for
uniprocessor kernel:

###
NetBSD 4.0_BETA2 (GENERIC) #0: Sun Mar 18 22:12:04 UTC 2007

builds@b3.netbsd.org:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-4/alpha/200703180000Z-obj/home/builds/ab/netbsd-4/src/sys/arch/alpha/compile/GENERIC
AlphaServer 2100 5/300, 291MHz, s/n
8192 byte page size, 2 processors.
total memory = 512 MB
(2120 KB reserved for PROM, 509 MB used by NetBSD)
avail memory = 493 MB
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: ID 0 (primary), 21164-5
cpu1 at mainbus0: ID 1, 21164-5
cpu1: processor off-line; multiprocessor support not present in kernel
ttwoga0 at mainbus0
ttwopci0 at ttwoga0 hose 0: T2 Gate Array rev. 1
sableio0 at ttwopci0 bus 0: Sable STDIO module
pckbc0 at sableio0 port 0x60
fdc1 at sableio0 port 0x3f0
fdc1: interrupting at T2 irq 7
com0 at sableio0 port 0x3f8: ns16550a, working fifo
com0: console
com0: interrupting at T2 irq 15
com1 at sableio0 port 0x2f8: ns16550a, working fifo
com1: interrupting at T2 irq 8
lpt0 at sableio0 port 0x3bc
lpt0: interrupting at T2 irq 9
pci0 at ttwopci0 bus 0
pci0: i/o space, memory space enabled

halted CPU 0

halt code = 6
double error halt
PC = 190ec
starting console on CPU 0
halt code = 7
machine check while in PAL mode
PC = 81a0
impure area for CPU 0 (at 4200)
4200: 0000000000000001
... error repeats ...
###

The machine is left in unworkable state, and the CPU0 is marked as
failed, so I had to clear the error log by ">>> clear_error" to be able
to boot the machine again, and even getting to SRM prompt required a
few power cycles.

When booting 4.0 SMP-enabled kernel, this is the console output:

###
NetBSD 4.0_BETA2 (GENERIC.MP) #0: Sun Mar 18 22:11:52 UTC 2007

builds@b3.netbsd.org:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-4/alpha/200703180000Z-obj/home/builds/ab/netbsd-4/src/sys/arch/alpha/compile/GENERIC.MP
[...]

CPU 1 is not halted

halt code = 6
double error halt
PC = 190ec

P01>>>START
P01>>>
starting console on CPU 0
halt code = 7
machine check while in PAL mode
PC = 81a0
impure area for CPU 0 (at 4200)
4200: 0000000000000001
... error repeats ...
###

And the situation doesn't change.

My question is whether is it possible to run a version of NetBSD on a
SMP configured AS2100.

I got some confusing information by google search.
It seems that AS2100 is not officially supported but someone got it to
boot at least with older kernel.

Maybe someone got a custom build of the kernel to boot on the machine
and could gently provide me a config file for rebuild on another
machine (or a binary build).

I will be very happy to help in testing on AS2100 (and debugging, if
possible to my skills)

Any help or information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bye
gl