Subject: Re: Running XFree86 on a PWS500au
To: Tobias Nygren <tnn+nbsd@nygren.pp.se>
From: Chris Wareham <chriswareham@chriswareham.demon.co.uk>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/17/2007 17:09:42
Tobias Nygren said on 14/3/07 00:10:
> Chris Wareham wrote:
>> I've found the following webpage which includes patched versions of
>> XFree86 for various Alpha workstations:
>>
>> http://www.caseydoodle.com/index1.html
>>
>> Is anyone running the patched version of XFree86 4.4.0 from this page on
>> NetBSD 3.1?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Chris
>
> If you grab the 4.5.0 tarballs from xfree86.org they should build cleanly.
> XFree86 4.6.0 can be built with some minor changes to alpha_video.c,
> see attached diff.
>
> -T

I built and installed XFree86 4.5.0, but if I run X -configure, xf86cfg
or just startx I get dumped back to the SRM console. I'm recompiling the
kernel with ddb and diagnostics enabled to see if I can drop into the
debugger instead. I suspect it's down to the graphics card though - it's
some high end thing (well, high end when the machine was new) that I
might just replace with an ordinary S3 based card.

Regards,

Chris