Subject: Re: PWS500au hangs if more than 1Gb of RAM is installed.
To: Anders Hogrelius <ahs@hogrelius.nu>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/16/2007 10:47:07
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Anders Hogrelius wrote:

> I wonder if this fix might solve some of the problems I've had on my 264DP
> which has 4Gb RAM. With a 3.1 SMP kernel it refused to see the drive
> connected to the IDE adapter... Where and how do I get and apply the fix?
>
> I've had some weird hangs with the uniprocessor kernel as well... They might
> also be solved with this patch.

   I don't know why you think this change would help your system.  The
change is only for machines using the cia, such as the AlphaServer 1000A
(noritake), Personal Workstation (miata), EB164, and which ever model was
kn20aa.  The 264DP would probably be a EV6-Tsunami based system.  I've run
NetBSD on an ES40, which is EV6-Tsunami based) with 8GB of memory and 4
cpus long enough to run a full NetBSD build.  It seemed fairly stable at
the time (well over 1 year ago), after I disabled the USB interface and
after fixing a bug in the mlx driver that caused problems when the ES40
needed to use sgmaps for DMA.  I don't remember at the moment what version
of NetBSD I was running at the time.  [That machine has been running a
production OpenVMS system since then.]

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant