Subject: Re: Looking for ev6 or later workstation..
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/18/2007 01:42:14
Only the last two or three models of PowerMac G5 (2.5 and 2.7GHz) had
water cooling systems; my primary desktop is a slightly older dual
2GHz PowerMac G5, which is air cooled. I will grant that it is the
most massive such system I've ever seen in a consumer device,
however, Apple was kind to its customers by using variable speed fans
which are controlled by the thermal monitoring system. If the CPUs
aren't being stressed, it's very quiet (not as quiet as my G4 Cubes,
but those are 500MHz G4's with 100MHz RAM, not 2GHz G5's with DDR
RAM...).

Most impressive cooling system I've ever seen was the flourinert
cascade for the Cray-2 at the LLNL Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer
Center (MFECC) in 1986. It had four 250 MHz processors immersed in
the cooling fluid. It was both functional, and nice to look at, too.

You're correct in that all the Alpha CPUs I've seen (mostly 21164A
and 21264) have two fairly big (0.5 cm diameter?) bolts on a copper
cover for securing the heat sink to the CPU. If you can find the
right kind of heat sink,how hard could it be to drill a couple of
holes in it ... ? I specifically referenced the overclockers because
they do all kinds of crazy things in service of their need for speed;
if you want a silent Alpha, some of those techniques can probably be
adapted, and there is enough of a market for extra cooling systems
that there are vendors (e.g. Zalman, Thermaltake) who'd probably be
happy to help.

	Erik <fair@netbsd.org>