Subject: Re: Continued problems with SMP on NetBSD/alpha
To: NetBSD/Alpha Discussion List <port-alpha@NetBSD.org>
From: Tonnerre LOMBARD <tonnerre@thebsh.sygroup.ch>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/19/2006 05:39:07
--uxuisgdDHaNETlh8

Salut,

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 01:21:28PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> I suspect what you are seeing is a complete machine hang?

Yes, as I tried to explain earlier.

> I.e. everything comes to a grinding halt from all external appearances
> and the only way you've been able to get it going again is to push the
> reset button and reboot (or the halt button and get to the SRM prompt)?

Yes. A complete hang, and no ddb is triggered, even though it is set to
trigger on panic. (Which suggests that no panic is taking place.)

> If you have DDB in your kernel ("options DDB"), and you have the sysctl
> ddb.onpanic and ddb.fromconsole settings both turned on (i.e. equal to
> one) (perhaps by default with "options DDB_ONPANIC=1"), then the
> question would be whether or not you can force the kernel into the
> debugger (send a BREAK signal on a serial console

I'm going to try to reproduce this - but I need a non-production SMP
alpha first. I'll try to get one to work, but this won't be before January.

> I'd be tempted to say that LOCKDEBUG should always be turned on with
> "options MULTIPROCESSOR" for now, except for the nasty incompatibilities
> it causes with some very useful userland tools that also need to be
> recompiled and installed when running such a kernel too.  In fact I've
> simply decided to always build everything with LOCKDEBUG, including my
> uniprocessor kernels, just to make life easiest (albiet a little slower).

Will try that, too.

				Tonnerre

--uxuisgdDHaNETlh8

--uxuisgdDHaNETlh8--