Subject: Re: gigabit ethernet cards
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.org>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/07/2006 09:01:49
netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com wrote:

> I used to have a combo USB & Firewire card in the 164lx and SRM
> dealt with it okay.  I since moved that card to a FreeBSD box
> in order to actually use the Firewire.

If the combo card has a PCI-PCI bridge it could work, I guess.

> When I say that SRM got confused by the SC-SATG11, I mean that the
> 164lx's onboard PATA controller no longer works in DMA mode.

Probably PCI space (for the DMA control register) was not mapped
properly and there was some conflict in that case?

> BTW, NetBSD does see the RealTek 8169S, but will not boot if
> it is configured:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2005/06/13/0011.html

This seems caused by lack of PHY device (ukphy or rgephy)
in kernel config. Anyway, the driver has been fixed in
rtl8169.c rev 1.11 (after NetBSD-2.0) for alpha:
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/ic/rtl8169.c#rev1.11
---
Izumi Tsutsui