Subject: Re: Install Failed when writing disklabel to RAID 5 on Digital 5305
To: mowestusa <mowestusa@yahoo.com>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/10/2006 21:27:42
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, mowestusa wrote:

> I did try the above command to zero out the RAID 5
> array as well, but it reported an I/O error as well.
>
> I/O errors indicate a bad hard drive don't they? What
> would be the chances of all 3 hard drives being bad at
> the same time in this RAID 5 array?

   It would only take 2 bad drives to fail.  A single bad
drive would still work with RAID5, but in a degraded mode.

   Does a 'show device' command at the SRM prompt show a DRA0
device, and does it indicate if the drive is 'optimal' or 'degraded'?
The NetBSD boot should also show a drive status.

   Also, removing the drives will cause the controller to mark
the drives as 'failed' (although if the drives are in the correct
slots, they can be marked as 'optimal' from the Raid Configuration
Utility).

> Would there be a way to test the SCSI drives
> individually in this RAID 5 array?

   You would need to configure each drive as a 'JBOD' logical
drive.

> It was mentioned earlier that I could remove the RAID
> 5 set up by simply running a ??JOBD?? program. How
> would I go about doing that from the SRM on this
> Digital 5305?

   You need the 'Raid Configuration Utility' for the Storgeworks
Raid Array 200 (or the RA 230, or RA230+).  I was able to find
one through google and downloaded it a while back.  I was unable
to read the floppy on the ES40 I was using, but putting the files
on a CD worked nicely (and loaded much faster) once I figured out
how to run it from a CD.

   You are looking for the RA200RCU.EXE program.

   I found:

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/products/storage/retired/ra230/index.htm

   To run it, you have to load the ARC console (use the ARC command at
the SRM prompt, select the run program menu, and enter RA200RCU as
the program to run, or CD:RA200RCU if it's on a CD).

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant