Subject: NetBSD/alpha 3.0.x MP
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: None <diro@nixsys.bz>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/02/2006 20:17:39
Really happy to report that i've been running NetBSD/alpha 3.0.x MP on an
AlphaServer 1200 for about two months non-stop and it's only hung once. Of
course, a debug kernel wasn't compiled, so i don't know why it hung, but
hey! i think that's still awesome. I'm looking forward to testing NetBSD 3.1
on a 4 processor AS4100. Any updated stories on that are always interesting
to me.

The server has not really been under a heavy load. I've entered and pulled
out hundreds of records from the database, ran ipfilter, compiled some
packages, but nothing really intense.

Anyone have any good ideas for testing how it would run in a production
environment (like common Internet services) under a moderate load? I thought
of hammering it with nessus and all its plugins while simulatenously running
various benchmarking tools and doing normal web based database operations.
However, i'm sure there's a few more creative ideas than that out there.

sombra# uname -a
NetBSD sombra 3.0 NetBSD 3.0 (GENERIC.MP) #0: Sun Dec 18 22:07:54 UTC 2005
riz@faith.netbsd.org:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-3-0-RELEASE/alpha/200512182024Z-
obj/home/builds/ab/netbsd-3-0-RELEASE/src/sys/arch/alpha/compile/GENERIC.MP
alpha

sombra# uptime
 3:09PM  up 33 days, 21:53, 1 user, load averages: 0.06, 0.08, 0.08

I really appreciate all the comments and posts on this list. It's definitely
one of my favorites! NetBSD is still my choice OS after 6+ years of using
it. I'm very happy to be part of this community and to have had the
interactions with several of its members.

Thanks =)

!tr