Subject: Re: inode lossage, possible ffs corruption
To: George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>
From: Stephen Jones <smj@cirr.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/13/2006 13:47:20
On Oct 13, 2006, at 11:42 AM, George Harvey wrote:
> It probably doesn't help much but I did see something very similar
> on my
> Sparc 20 running 2.0.2. This was not long after I had installed the
> system, so probably a year or more ago, and fsck recovered the missing
> inodes as in your case. The system has been running more or less
> continuously since then (it's my mail/dns/dhcpd server) without any
> further inode problems so I never investigated further.

George -

That is good to know.  I used to have a habit of forcing fscks after a
newfs anyway.  I'm going to hope that this is just a one time issue.
There are several new filesystems, so it may be the case that I'll just
see them all go through this.

My first reaction was that the default bytes per inode was too large,
but
of course after fscking that didn't make any fscking sense.