Subject: Re: Need help with timecounters/todr
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/19/2006 06:31:56
Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> garrett_damore@tadpole.com wrote:
>

>> I could use some help with todr and timecounters on alpha.  Any intrepid
>> souls want to help tackle it?  SMP expertise would be helpful.
>>

> I'm taking a look at todr changes on alpha.
>
> It looks trivial (unless we try to switch alpha with pmax at once),
> but one concern is that inittodr() and resettodr() in current
> alpha/clock.c call cc_microset() (in sys/kern/kern_microtime.c).
>
> Should these call done in MI todr, or some MD place? Or not needed?
> ---
> Izumi Tsutsui

This was exactly the part I wasn't sure about.  I _think_ this should be
done (or similar logic) as part of timecounters -- i.e. each processor
needs to have some kind of synchronization -- probably implementing the
tc_pps method for timecounters.  I'm not an alpha expert though, so I'm
not 100% sure.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191