Subject: Re: uname(2) results & COMPAT_OSF1
To: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Nicolas Joly <njoly@pasteur.fr>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/07/2006 17:56:37
On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 05:54:37PM +0200, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> njoly@pasteur.fr said:
> > njoly@thanos [~]> sysctl emul.osf1
> > emul.osf1.kern.ostype = OSF1
> [...]
> > Comments ?
>
> If it helps a real-world application it is certainly a
> good thing to support.

I don't know a real-world application that strictly require it. I
often use uname(2) values as a first test for emulation ...

I'll try to see in the next (days, weeks, ...) as i'm currently trying
to make Veritas NetBackup client 5.1 work on NetBSD/alpha under
COMPAT_OSF1 (like on our other Tru64 machines).

> I'd however share as much as possible with the Linux
> emulation, at least the EMUL_xxx_KERN_yyy namespace and
> the code which builds the sysctl tree.

Ok.

--
Nicolas Joly