Subject: halt when unplug serial console on DEC 3000/700
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Rowdy <rowdy@netspace.net.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/16/2006 20:23:01
Greetings,

I have successfully installed NetBSD 3.0 on my DEC 3000/700 - a very
smooth installation :-)  I was fortunate in having a second, unused,
SCSI hard drive in the system, so I dd'ed the cdhdtape boot image to
that drive, restarted, and booted from the second drive.

A problem, similar I guess to that on the Sparc, is when I unplug or
turn off the serial console (this DEC has no monitor/keyboard attached,
just the serial console with the S3 switch in the appropriate position)
the machine stops.

The suggestion in the NetBSD/sparc FAQ
(http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/sparc/faq.html#serial-unplug) is to wire a
4.7KOhm resistor between pins 3 and 25 (btw what is pin 25?!?!).

Would a similar solution work with the DEC 3000/700 hardware?  And what
pins would need to be resistively shorted?

An alternative would be to set the machine to auto-boot, thus not
requiring a console to enter the boot command into the SRM (described
here: http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/alpha/faq.html#multiuser-boot).  But,
being naturally paranoid, I was wondering how one would go about
accesing the SRM console to deactivate auto-boot?  I seem to recall that
doing a "shutdown -h" in NetBSD returns to the SRM's >>> prompt - would
this be the most appropriate way?

Thanx

Rowdy