Subject: NetBSD ALpha progress
To: NetBSD/alpha Discussion List <port-alpha@NetBSD.org>
From: bob <sfmc68@verizon.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/06/2006 16:48:54
I 3.0 installed, the release, Mel Kravitz 4.4 source, a new kernel build
with wscons, but want to check, might be something stupid, might be I am
stupid.
The system is a 164LX, 600mhz, 1GB ram,  new kernel in 3.0, works fine,
radeon 7500 PCI, told the XFree config it was 32MB, really 64mB, Dell
P1110 monitor.

Starting up, I get the switch to green text on black background, have to
use wscons 2 or 3 or 4 to log in Like Mel;s notes say, cause first
console really is the console.

startx just gives me a black on black screen. Does not quite start..
I can type reboot, so I am back in regular wscons screen, but not able
to see text, no big thing.

I do not have xdm in the rc.local or rc. conf files,
Have the last log, Log shows it finds the 7500, knows it is not a PC,

here is the bottom set of data:

(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(II) RADEON(0): MMIO registers at 0x82060000
(II) dense base = 0x8600000000
(II) has_bwx = 0
(--) Machine needs sparse mapping
(II) dense base = 0x8600000000
(II) memory base = 0x8000000000
(II) RADEON(0): vgaHWGetIOBase: hwp->IOBase is 0x03d0, hwp->PIOOffset is
0x0000
(II) RADEON(0): PCI bus 0 card 5 func 0
(**) RADEON(0): Depth 16, (--) framebuffer bpp 16
(II) RADEON(0): Pixel depth = 16 bits stored in 2 bytes (16 bpp pixmaps)
(==) RADEON(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) RADEON(0): RGB weight 565
(II) RADEON(0): Using 6 bits per RGB (8 bit DAC)
(II) RADEON(0): initializing int10
(II) dense base = 0x8600000000
(II) RADEON(0): No legacy BIOS found -- trying PCI
(II) dense base = 0x8600000000
(II) dense base = 0x8600000000
(II) Truncating PCI BIOS Length to 49152
(II) dense base = 0x8600000000
(!!) RADEON(0): Failing Find-Matching-File on non-PC (int 21, func 4e)

  "OOOOOPS!!!"
The invocation of the law of unintended consequences.