Subject: Re: xf86config, xf86cfg on alpha (and probably others)?
To: None <tech-x11@NetBSD.org, port-alpha@NetBSD.org>
From: bob <sfmc68@verizon.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/29/2006 15:14:45
Fellow BSDers,
This subject, X on alpha running NetBSD really intrigues me.
I have tried, a number of times all unsuccessrully, to get X running on
a NetBSD platform. Mel has tried to help me, many times, but being a
guy, I may not always follow directions, ahem... and I am about to
really focus on trying to follow the steps he provides. Once again.

I do hve a copy of AC1 running on a DS10 box, with an ATI radeon 7000.
Just worked out of the install. Had to put in the monitor info, but that
was it.   I mention this only because it is possible, beyond going to
caseydoodle page that shows the desktops, drooling on my mac keybard
dreaming about having X running on a NetBSD Alpha desktop, to have an
alpha as my main gui'd desktop box.

I got into NetBSD cuase it just seems natural to me, but now I need a
gui.  Yep, I did do a whole bunch of install instructions debugging - 27
times before I got a good (correct and working) install on uVax II - so
even I can learn new tricks.

So, for those gurus out there who can hdlp us stumbling klutz, direction
impaired geeks who want X on the NetBSD desk top .... is there some way
to get this X capability in the basic build of NetBSD Alpha?

thanks for all the help over the years.  Hope you guys got a laugh out
of me being honest and serious about my previous flubs,
bob

--
  "OOOOOPS!!!"
The invocation of the law of unintended consequences.