Subject: Netbsd-3.0 install problem (pci_display_console problem)
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Paul D. Boyle <boyle@laue.chem.ncsu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/06/2006 14:37:27
Hi Everyone,

I new to NetBSD (my background is x86 based Linux systems).  I recently
inheirited a couple of Digital Personal Workstation 500au boxes.  I put
the first boot floppy in. I get to the SRM prompt (>>>) and type, as
per the INSTALL instructions:

B DVA0

I feed the machine boot floppies 2 & 3.  Everything seems to go OK,
until I get a panic.  The final messages are:

Entering netbsd at 0xfffffc00003012e0...
panic: pci_display_console: no such device at 0/11/0
Stopped at 0xfffffc00005bad58: ret  zero,(ra)
db>

I checked the Alpha FAQ and couldn't find anything. Googling around a
little indicates that this is probably some problem with the video card.
Doing a little digging around on the machine, I find the following
information:

tga0 at pci0 slot 11
ZLXp2-E Revision 34

The INSTALL notes indicate that supported graphics adaptors are:
VGA compatible video, ZLXp-E1, ZLXp-E2, ZLX-E3.  Being that my
ZLXp2-E isn't listed, does this mean I out of luck or is there some
workaround (e.g. different boot flags need to be set?) which I can use
which will get me farther into the boot and install process?

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Regards,

Paul

--
Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle@laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362