Subject: Re: AS1200 and 53c875 SCSI controller
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Kirk <steve@unixnation.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/26/2005 20:23:04
On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 07:51:11PM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:27:49 +0000
> Steve Kirk <steve@unixnation.net> wrote:
>
> > Can anyone give me some guidance on bootable SCSI raid controllers for
> > an AS1200?
> There are some variants of Mylex cards what SRM knows about and are
> supported by NetBSD. See mlx(4).

I have one of these in my Digital 3305/AS800, it boots without a problem from SRM v5.1-? but it still appears to be having the problem where the root device is not correctly set on installation. When I specifiy the info the system asks for a boot it works ok, but is this issue a bug?

I have seen it mentioned previously on this list. I know that I can work around it by compiling a kernel with "root device on ld0a" to solve this problem though.

Additionally, after having run the system for several days, compiling kernels etc, with the load average at 2-3 for an extensive period, the system started to have problems talking to the raid controller. The following messages were logged on the console:

mlx_ccb_submit: rejected: queueing
[...repeats...]
mlx0: periodic enquiry failed - software timeout (0xdead)

This controller has firmware revision 2.49, has anyone seen this error before or have any fix etc.

> > 1) I've seen an LSI 8751SP SCSI card for sale.
> > This uses the NCR/Symbios 53c875(SP I think) - would I be able to boot
> > from this card?
> Usually the cards based on the 53c875 Just Work (C) (R) (TM).
> But they don't do RAID (in hardware).

Sound good then, I was getting confused between different card features. At the moment, just booting would be nice!

Cheers,
Steve