Subject: Re: Follow-up: PWS 600au not netbooting from linux
To: NetBSD alpha <port-alpha@NetBSD.org>
From: Andrew Stribblehill <a.d.stribblehill@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/24/2005 00:13:27
Quoting Uwe Lienig <Uwe.Lienig@fif.mw.htw-dresden.de> (2005-11-23 14:59:39 GMT):
> Hi all,
>
> I couldn't get the alpha to net boot off the linux system. I've no idea
> why. As noted, there wasn't even an indication of any traffic to the
> tftp port. I think this would at least indicat that the BOOTREPLY from
> the linux dhcp server has been correctly decoded.
>
> In the end I made three boot floppies. This worked. Installation was
> made via NFS mount.

> >Uwe> I try to net boot a 600au [...]
> >
> >Uwe> tcpdump doesn't even show a request to the tftp port.
> >
> >Uwe> The SRM shows: Sending BOOTP packet ..file open failed for
> >Uwe> ewa0/0.0.0.3.0
> >
> >This sounds exactly like what I saw on a 500AU a while ago. As long as
> >the SRM was in control the builtin tlp-card worked fine but as soon as
> >the NetBSD boot block took over nothing ever left the card. I don't
> >remember the details but I googled a little on netbsd.org and draw the
> >conclusion that it migh be some problem with the PHY.

I had a similar problem and was advised by someone in the NetBSD
community to upgrade my SRM. Reluctantly and disbelievingly, I did
this and it subsequently netbooted perfectly. That said, I don't
think it was broadcasting DHCP or RARP at all in my case, initially.

--
HEBRIDES BAILEY FAIR ISLE
WEST 6 TO GALE 8, VEERING NORTH 7 TO SEVERE GALE 9. SHOWERS, WINTRY