Subject: Re: X11 with VGA?
To: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
From: Einar Karttunen <ekarttun@cs.helsinki.fi>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/11/2005 11:01:32
On 10.08 10:16, David Hopper wrote:
> Last I checked (which was, admittedly, some time ago), in-tree builds
> of x11 using build.sh do not work properly.  However, doing a 'make
> World' and 'make install' on a clean src/x11 tree (i.e. do not use
> build.sh) worked just fine for my alphastation.
>
> The key is to build a static server, which build.sh -x will not do.
>
> See http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-x11/2005/04/04/0001.html, and
> PR 29882.

I tried using the "make World && make install" route defined there,
but building X failed. The build did produce /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86
but that complained: "cannot execute binary file". During the
build GCC crashed a few times with internal compiler error.
I am thinking of testing the memory for errors next.

ps. If it helps I can provide a log of the build but it is
quite large - 4.7mb uncompressed.

- Einar Karttunen