Subject: Re: Announce: DEC AlphaServer 8400 is coming
To: Brian L.Stuart <blstuart@bellsouth.net>
From: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/20/2005 10:38:32
On Jul 19, 2005, at 7:15 PM, Brian L. Stuart wrote:

> In message <9855F536-EAC6-4472-BAA7-37687C3D09F9@shagadelic.org>,
> Jason Thorpe
> writes:
>
>> It is possible that multi-cpu operation will, in fact, work on these
>> systems now.  When that FAQ was written, NetBSD did not have MP
>> support.
>>
>> Of course, it could be broken, too :-)
>>

> Now that you mention it...  I've been running on a Digital
> Server 5300 (the "NT only" version of the AS1200) for a
> while now.  It seems pretty much rock solid when I'm
> running a UP kernel.  But with a MP kernel, it sometimes
> locks solid under heavy load.  My first reaction is a
> race condition that leads to deadlock.  However, I haven't
> had time to attempt any real diagnosis.
>
> BLS

The issues with Alpha MP are still extant, see port-alpha/25599 for
one possible avenue toward stability.  I haven't tried the pmap
patches on our own AS1200, mostly because I'm trying to avoid the
sickening feeling in my stomach as this production machine locks hard
on an MP kernel-- mostly on a Friday night before I leave for vacation.

My second processor needs a new fan anyway, so it's been removed.
Anyone know where I can find a Shicoh 12V .17A CPU fan?  *growl*

Dave