Subject: Re: SRM booting from ncr(4) or isp(4) - what models
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/11/2005 14:13:14
On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 01:07:36AM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 11:19:46 +0100 (BST)
> David Brownlee <abs@absd.org> wrote:
>
> >  	Would people have a list of known SCSI controllers from which
> >  	a PCI based alpha can boot?
> This depends on the particular machine and its SRM version. Most likely
> any NCR / Symbios based adapter from 53C180 to 53C875 will work on all
> machines. Probably newer ones with 53C88x and 53C89x will do too. IIRC I
> have a 53C895 in my PWS 500au.
>
> Qlogic adapters in the ISP10[248]0 range are good candidates too. The
> ISP1040 was standard in the PWS and the AS1000 had a ISP1020 on board.

Some adaptec board may work on some boxes too. My DS20 has an adaptec
controller onboard, but it's inactivated for some reason (SRM doesn't see
it, nor the NetBSD kernel). But if the motherboard has such a controller,
it's likely that other hardware revisions or SRM version can use it.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>